It’s time to get the money out of politics and return to some basic ideas of democracy.
One person ….. one vote. No one should have more influence than any other citizen. We are not a nation of classes or privilege. We are a nation of citizens who should all have an equal voice in our government.
Elected Officials are suppose to represent people in their districts. Why is it even legal for a person in California to give money to a Senate race in Michigan? Everybody has their own elected officials. Let them work with them.
So how can we get rid of the influence of money in politics?
1. NO MONEY FROM ANY BUSINESS OR ORGANIZATION. No organization (right, left, middle, whatever) or business can buy election ads or give money to any candidate for office. Period. If they want to be heard, the people in them can contact the people who represent them. No PACs, NO organizations who collect money to influence, NO money from the parties can be spent on individual elections. All money for campaigns and the only money that is allowed to be spent during campaigns will come from the people, individually.
2. ONLY PEOPLE A PERSON WOULD REPRESENT CAN GIVE THEM MONEY. A person can only contribute money to candidates running for an office that will represent that person. Congressional representatives candidates can only accept money from PEOPLE in their district. Senators can only accept money from people in their state. There is no reason, except buying favors, for people or organizations from other areas, to give money to any candidate that doesn’t directly represent them. Elected officials are suppose to work for the people in their district or state (or whatever area). So lets enforce that. PLUS, each person can only contribute up to $100 per candidate per election cycle (yes, both primary and election.
3. TIME LIMITS ON CAMPAIGNS. I think a time limit on campaigns would be good. We get burned out. There is never a time, people aren’t running. Its getting ridiculous. 30 days for a primary is good, 60 days for a campaign is good. Those are my suggestions (and they are what other countries do). Just think … so many fewer campaign ads. WOW
4. NO LOBBYISTS. If a person wants to present his point of view, go talk to whoever represents you. It’s really that simple.
5. NO ONE WHO WORKS FOR GOVERNMENT CAN WORK FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY THEIR WORK FOR 5 YEARS AFTER THEY LEAVE EMPLOYMENT. If you are in the service, you can not work for a defense contractor for 5 years after you leave the military. If you work for a regulatory agency, you can not work for anybody or business that you regulated. If you are an elected official, you are really held to a higher standard, you can’t work for anybody associated with the government for 5 years. We need to put an end to influence peddling. It may seem unfair, but we need to clean it up.
When I was young, I read some words that moved my heart and started a love for my country that has grown since that day. “WE THE PEOPLE, OF THESE UNITED STATES“. What a concept, A GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE. That is worth protecting and fighting for. Lets get our government back.